warmanw

Hello, thanks for the beta version.

Can I fully move to new launcher? even if I will be using 3.8.59?

The project file is getting opened on backend using the commands that are available. Will we have problems with that?
warmanw

Kickstarter Backer

Erika

Hello,

You can safely use the new launcher to launch older versions of Spine. I have been using it for the past months without problems :D

You didn't ask this, but other people already did so I'll also mention it:
The beta version of Spine (v4) is out to let you test the new core features, but no runtimes are ready for it yet. Please always use the latest stable version in production, unless you're not looking to export for a runtime, but you want to export videos or images instead.

However if you work on your files with a stable version instead (such as v3.8.59), even with the new launcher, you should not encounter such problems.
Erika

Erikari

Fabiano

Cool, having the version chosen in the launcher instead of inside Spine is already worth it!
2D Animator @
Fabiano

stikkanimate

I just want to add to this asking if there's even a super rough estimate when it might be runtime-ready. 2 months, 4 months, a year. If it's sooner than later, I'd just like to know how much time I have to suggest we prepare to look into readying our project to be upgrade ready -- if upgrading mid-project is even viable.

Thanks!
stikkanimate

warmanw

stikkanimate ha scritto:I just want to add to this asking if there's even a super rough estimate when it might be runtime-ready. 2 months, 4 months, a year. If it's sooner than later, I'd just like to know how much time I have to suggest we prepare to look into readying our project to be upgrade ready -- if upgrading mid-project is even viable.

Thanks!
The answer will heavily depend on the runtime, so please clarify what are you using before Nate gets here :D

for example first they do it on LibGDX I believe, it should be ready now. maybe next will come Unity..
warmanw

Kickstarter Backer

Nate

The reference implementation, spine-libgdx, already supports the v4 beta features, though keep in mind being beta it is still subject to change. The editor uses spine-libgdx, that's why it's the reference implementation and will always be updated first and up to date with the latest editor. All of the other runtimes are a port of spine-libgdx plus game toolkit specific parts for rendering. Since v4 doesn't change rendering, the effort required for the other runtimes is directly porting spine-libgdx. While the bulk of the work is already done and only porting is needed, the changes in the runtimes for v4 are pretty significant under the covers, even though moving from 3.8 to 4.0 should be mostly unnoticeable for users. Never quote me for software development estimates, but I would say other runtimes could be brought up to speed for v4 within a couple weeks.
Nate

Nate

Torna a Editor